Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Tanay

Tanay – a Sanskrit word meaning ‘Son’. Infact, it has come from the Hanuman Chalisa, a Hindu religious book.

That his temperament was unlike other kids of his age was something that I was aware of, but what I wasn't aware of was the fondness my son Tanay had harbored for a little treasure viz Nidhi.  

Hilarious as it may sound, Tanay had developed a sudden obsession towards a little girl Nidhi in school at the age of three. Although she was there in his play-school from day one, it was strange why he had suddenly become so fond of this little girl.

I first became aware of this when Tanay, who never liked to speak about school, suddenly got talking about Nidhi at home. I was elated to see this change in him and was very happy that he started liking school and discussing the same. But no, I was wrong! It was only about Nidhi that he wanted to discuss. Whatever it was, I was all ears to his talk as for the first time my naughty little boy was talking something with full interest. He was so expressive that I went on to record his talk in my camera. Thanks to the technology and the modern-day gadgets!! Moms can do a lot more with our kids these days

Few days later, there was ‘Children’s day’ program in his play-school to which parents were invited. Incidentally, we were the first ones to arrive and his teacher at once got talking about Tanay and Nidhi. She went on to say that even her husband doesn’t take care of her as much as Tanay takes care of Nidhi. I didn't know how to react, although I was a little embarrassed. 

Having experienced this, we decided to invite Nidhi to Tanay’s third birthday party at home. All was going well, but Nidhi did not turn up. We waited for quite some time and then went ahead with the cake-cutting. Tanay was quite disappointed on not seeing Nidhi. But then an hour later, Nidhi, her brother and her mom arrived! Tanay’s joy knew no bounds on seeing her. She was rather cranky and sleepy that evening, but Tanay wouldn’t give up. He was bent upon making Nidhi comfortable and attending to her needs now that she was in his house. He sat very next to her on the sofa, although she was lying on her mom’s lap. He gave
her a chocolate and offered some cake. But Nidhi was in no mood to eat, play or even look at him! Then, when she was leaving, he ran and got a balloon for her to take home. Poor Tanay! I felt bad for my little boy!

Soon after, there was Sports Day at school, in which he went everywhere where Nidhi went. She went running to her mom, he too followed. 
 
As if all this wasn't enough, one fine day, his teacher called me to say a lot more. Now there was another kid in class by name 'Sumukh', who too was equally fond of none other than Nidhi. He too wanted to sit beside her and be with her. What more, Tanay couldn’t stand it and would pounce on Sumukh, hit or scratch him because he felt Nidhi was his possession and no one had any rights on her. Same was the case with Sumukh too. Now these two boys could not stand the other next to Nidhi and were fighting like cats and dogs for this girl. Doesn't this sound filmy ?!! 
Not only that, Tanay would go on to attack anyone who went close to Nidhi. He would make sure that he did the honors of taking Nidhi’s shoes from the shoe-rack after school and almost make her wear it! What do I say...I couldn’t believe my ears!!!

All this, while this little girl Nidhi was least bothered about the love being showered on her by the boys of the class – Tanay & Sumukh!! Hilarious!!! 

Today, three years later, as I think about it, I still find it difficult to understand this emotion of my kid at the age of three. And his obsession and protective nature towards Nidhi is still mysterious.  And, what wiring does that little brain have..! I wish to get the answers some day...
Meanwhile, here’s a picture of Tanay & Nidhi taken during Tanay’s 3rd birthday.


No comments: